Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

Time Makes Emotions Grow

I've been saying this for a while now... "In any relationship, time makes emotions grow stronger. Whether they be good feelings or bad feelings, they grow in any relationship." It's not a perfect analogy, there are some exceptions, but I can't think of any in my life.

In a generic sense - if you spend time with someone you dislike because of a certain quality, usually that feeling increases or is replaced by acceptance and then acceptance grows stronger.
In a dating or marriage situation, as you spend time together and get to know each other your love increases as you understand how much you truly care about this person or is replaced by a different emotion which grows based on certain factors...

Example, the more time I spend with someone that bugs me because of a certain thing he or she does, the more that feeling grows. It bugs me more and more until it's almost ridiculous. Unless. Unless that feeling is replaced by another one. Acceptance. I accept this thing that bugs me. That acceptance grows until I don't even notice it. Eventually it's replaced by something else. I like it. That thing that used to bug me is now something that makes that person who he or she is. But that's only unless...

I've loved someone before. it was. one of those experiences that ends up defining you as a person. the more time I spent with her, the stronger those feelings of like became, until one day they become love. (For all of you critics who say I don't know what love is, love changes as you grow. It was love, just maybe not the kind you have now). The more time I spent with her the more I loved her... until. That's such a formidable word. Until something came along. Love was still there, but it was slowly being butted out by another emotion. Jealousy? Frustration? Anger? Now everything that happened made that emotion grow until it became too much and things had to end. That anger grew, even after we had broken up. Every look, every glare, every conversation had some subtle hint that made things worse until...

Another emotion replaces the old one. Acceptance.

It's not a cold-hard rule. But time is the ultimate growth hormone of emotions and feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment