Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

Sarcasm: Sticks and Stones

"While it may be entertaining to watch, in real life, cutting humor and sarcasm are too unkind to be funny. They can only injure, never uplift" - Chris Crowe, New Era, May, 1986, 34.

Sarcasm as been the most often used mode of humor in my family for as long as I can remember. My dad is one of the most sarcastic people I know. I always know when my dad is being sarcastic versus serious. However, some of my friends, when they first meet him, think he is the most serious guy they've ever met. I wonder how this could be possible, but to them it's clear as day.

Growing up around sarcasm constantly, as most of us do, has dulled me to it's pain. Usually when I'm being sarcastic I'm just trying to be funny because I don't know what else to say. How stupid is that? Someone once told me that behind every sarcastic comment we make we also find a little bit of truth. I don't think this is always true, but sometimes it is, and that's wrong.

Yesterday I was out shopping with my sister and my mom. I thought we were having a good time until one of my sarcastic comments wasn't so funny anymore. I hurt one of their feelings and I felt horrible! I thought we all knew I was joking around and being sarcastic, and we did all know that, but it's like I said, behind the sarcastic comments we make someone else might find a little bit of truth. My sarcastic sense of humor has gotten be into a little bit of trouble outside of my family. Not everyone gets our sarcasm. But shame on me for continuing to use it. I'm trying my best to be a better person, but my sarcasm isn't helping.

So, I'm trying to remember that old saying: Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will destroy my spirit. Join in me thinking a little more about what we say before we say it. Just because we know that we're being sarcastic and don't mean any harm by what we say, the people listening may think otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment