Pages

Sunday, April 1, 2012

March 19, 2012

Today we had our zone activity and went bowling and afterwards went to IHOP! Super good! (Mom.}, I hope that was okay...) The change is almost over now! This Sunday we get change phone calls, and next Monday I'll be telling you all if I'll be staying in Las Victorias with Elder Henriquez, staying but with a new comp, or leaving my area. Crazy how the time keeps flying by! I also hit 13 months on Friday!

Tuesday and Wednesday were kind of rough days in the field, but Thursday was great! Our last lesson on Thursday was with some new investigators. Isabel (40) Cristofer (12) and Susan (11). We contacted Isabel two weeks ago and were finally able to teach her and her two kids. She was very enthusiastic when we first met and wanted us to talk to her kids about our beliefs. She is catholic, but wants her kids to follow the religion they choose. She and her children are very nice people and payed a lot of attention as we explained the origin of the Book of Mormon! I can see some awesome future progression!!

Friday we had interviews with President and Sister Watts, and I got a letter from my Grandpa Joel, and I would like to share with you all this story, because I think it is of great importance for every single one of us. It goes a little something like this...

"It seems that I was working hard on all the problems that I face each day. I was striving to be faithful and obedient. The Lord then indicated that he was calling me to a new assignment. He showed me a very large rock and explained that my task each day would be to push against that rock with all my might. So, I bent to the task and pushed with all my strength, day after day. I often became discouraged because it seems that no matter how hard I pushed or at what angle I attacked the problem, that old rock remained right where it was. It didn't budge even an inch despite all of my best efforts. Eventually, I became very discouraged and Satan whispered in my ear that no matter what I did, I wasn't going to move that rock from it's appointed place, so why was I getting calluses on my hands and tired muscles in my back. It was useless, I might as well slack off, or better yet, forget the whole thing because I certainly wasn't getting anywhere with what I was doing.

"In my discouragement, I prayed to the Lord and took my problem to Him. He lovingly replied, 'I didn't ask you to move the rock, that wasn't necessarily in the plan. Your job was to simply push with all your might. Useless, you say. You think it's boring? But, look at you now. You have developed strength of character as well as strong muscles; you have gained patience, empathy, and understanding. You have grown so much by your obedience to my command. If the rock needs moving, I'll move it when the time comes and the conditions are right. Continue your task and push each day as before. I will you give you strength as you persevere that the task will seem easier until it is time to call you to another work. Your faithful pushing now will prepare you for other great works that you may not yet be ready to do. And your faithful pushing, even though you may not be able to see, will prepare the rock for moving when the time is right. Patience, my son, be obedient to my command and blessings untold will follow. Push for now and I will be with you, helping you with all of your efforts, great or small."

I love that story. Thank you Grandpa, it means a lot ot me, and I hope it means a lot to YOU.

As missionaries, we contact a lot. And it's not always the most exciting thing to do, however, President Watts, in our interviews, mentioned that contacting has 3 persons that really helped give a greater horizon to my vision of contacting. 1) To find those who are prepared to be taught. 2) To pepare others to be taught. 3) To give these people their chance to accept or reject the gospel. Obviously we wish that every contact could fall into the first category, but we do not have to allow ourselves to be discourage when not everyone is willing ot accept our message!

This Friday I had to conduct 2 baptismal interviews, and I would like to share quickly the feelings I had. "It's interesting how well you can feel the Spirit as you conduct an interview. The Lord truly blesses you to help the person open up and share his or her feelings, doubts, concerns and problems. I was also slightly nervous about conducting the interview, and likewise the Lord blessed me in my efforts. I'm sure that these two sister will be great members of the church and I'm truly grateful to be the Lord's representative."

I truly am grateful to be the Lord's resprenstative here on the earth as I share this gospel with Guatemala.

Love,

Elder Andrew A. LaPray

No comments:

Post a Comment