This last week was Semana Santa! Which means "Holy Week". I'm sure lots of you have seen pictures of the "carpets" that they put down in the roads that have various patters and colors and what not... well, that is part of Semana Santa, and it was the only one I will have in my mission! 

On Monday we saw a family in the street and decided to contact them, and you would not BELIEVE the religious ties in that family. The man claims no religion, but his mother is a Mormon. His wife is a Sabbatical Christian and her family are members of the Reformed LDS church. But, the good news is, that the agreed to let us come back next week and share with them the video "Together Forever" which talks about the importance of family relations and how they can be propelled beyond the grave! We'll see how that goes this Friday!!

On Wednesday when we were walking along the street at about 7:30 and we here someone say "What up white boys?" Not that it's uncommon to hear someone talk to us in English, it happens a lot, but not with that clear of English. So, I decided to turn around and start talking to the guy. His name is Alex and he is from Guatemala, but he spent 26 years in LA and had basically perfect English. So, we taught him a little bit in the street about our message, but he wasn't really interested. But, it's always fun to just see how the Lord prepares people to talk to, whether they accept the message now or not.

Thursday was the biggest day of "alfombras" (carpets). So, at 6 we woke up to go and catch the carpets before the processions passed by. They were absolutely INCREDIBLE. A lot of them were associated with Catholocism, but there was one, done by our ward mission leader, that was an image from the church (LDS). It was a stunning sight and it reminds me of how the people welcomed Christ's entrance to the city of Jerusalem in the last week of His earthly ministry, while just a few days later they scorned Him in His final retreat from the city. As we were walking around later that afternoon we saw a wonderful opportunity to serve. We a saw man unloading a pickup truck as he was moving, and offered our help and unloaded the entire pick up truck. It turns out that this man who accepted our help is a member of the church, however, the people that he was moving our not, Lirice and her son Eros. After we were done moving, Lirice (single mother, about 30ish) asked us if we like to swim. We both said "ya" but that we can't as missionaries and she responded, "owe, that's too bad. I was going to take you to the beach so you could see how it is or to a waterpark because my work owns a couple"... it was HILARIOUS! But, with lots of good intentions. Anyways.... even if we are never able to teach Lirice and Eros again (but I think we will) they at least have a great impression of missionaries of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints!

The rest of the weekend was a little slow in work, and Easter Sunday was a rough one for me... I spent the whole day sick and in bed. Definitely not fun. But, part of being a missionary is being sick. But, on the bright side, I went almost a year without vomiting, which has to be nearly a record for me!! Now, to the good part!

"I recently started to read a book entitled 'The Infinite Atonement' by Tad R. Callister. I'm only in the 6th chapter, but the book is magnificent. Lately I've been wondering how I can more fully implement Christ's Atonement in my life, and I believe this book will help. Early on he (Elder Callister) mentions that the Atonement fulfills 3 basic purposes. 1) Restore all that was lost from the Fall, i.e. the resurrection of all men, First Spiritual Death (see Helaman 14:16). 2) Provide the possibility for repentance and to be cleansed from sin, Second Spiritual Death (see Helaman 14:18). and 3) Provide the power necessary to exalt mankind to the status of a god (see D&C 76:69). THus we learn that the Fall is inseparably connected to the Atonement and vice versa. I also see that the redeeming power of the Atonement is not limited to a select few, but that "he sendeth an invitation unto all men, for the arms of mercy are extended towards them" (Alma 5:33; see also 2 Nephi 26:25-33). I love the imagery portrayed by the scriptures and recapitulated in Elder Callister's book that the Atonement can figuratively and literally be symbolized by an embrace. As stated by Lehi, 'The Lord hath redeemed my soul from hell; I have beheld his glory, and I am encircled about eternally in the arms of his love' (2 Nephi 1:15). And illustrated in D&C 6:20 'Be faithful and diligent in keeping the commandments of God, and I will encircle thee in the arms of my love'. And lastly, as preached by Amulek, "Mercy... encircles them in the arms of safety' (Alma 34:16). 'What a beautiful metaphor. What child does not feel safety in the arms of his kind and loving father? What peace, what warmth, hwat reassurance, to know that in his arms he is safe...' (The Infinite Atonement, 27). I would clsoe with the words of Orson F. Whitney as quoted by Callister, 'I ran (to meet Him)..., fell at his feet, clasped Him around the knees, and begged Him to take me with him. I shall never forget the kind and gentle manner in which He stooped, raised me up, and embraced me. It was so vivid, so real. I felt the very warmth of his body, as He held me in his arms.' Who would not long for that warmth, that embrace (The Infinite Atonment, 27-28)?

I truly am grateful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ and anxiously await His warm embrace.

Love,
Elder Andrew A. LaPray