Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

The Little Engine That Could - Feb. 27.2012

The title has nothing to do with difficulties in the week, it's just the keep chugging along no matter what! Half way through the mission. A slowly progressing area. Just got to keep chugging along as the days and weeks and changes go by!

Well, I'm starting to get used to the normal missionary schedule again. IN fact, I'm really enjoying it! I thought it was going to be a lot harder to re-adjust to mission life, but the Lord has blessed me. The only thing is that I got a head cold starting about Monday night, Tuesday morning. In the morning we went out and got a lot of contacts done; about 17 just in the morning. After lunch we visited a women named Herlinda who is less active. I have no idea why she doesn't go, but she doesn't. She is a wonderful old woman who has a granddaughter in Argentina. We shared with her a mission called "He Knows My Name" from the Liahona August 2010. It was a good lesson. At 4 a member named Jorge Sierra came out with us to visit. We stopped by Hna Gloria to share with her a message about Obedience from the May 2010 Liahona. It was a good message.

On Wednesday we had District meeting, nothing out of the ordinary. I talked about contacting and new investigators. I thought it was a good lesson. Now I have to get ready for this week's district meeting. On Wednesday we had another lesson with Julio Arias, who we met our first day. Today we talked about the Plan of Salvation and he was really intrested in the message and you could just see the desire in his eyes to know more about the plan that our Heavenly Father has prepared for him.

Thursday was kind of a rough day. My cold really got to me. I didn't even notice my alarm and woke up at 8:30 just dead. I was just beat, so we spent that day in the house. Talk about an awesome year mark, huh?

Friday was a little bit better. We had a couple members go out with us. We were supposed to have another lesson with Julio Arias, but he didn't show up, who knows why. We had a lesson with this kid named Anner though, who is 20 years old. It was a pretty good lesson. THe missionaries have been visiting him for a while, but he just hasn't prayed to know if what we're teaching him is true, which is kind of a big deal. On Saturday morning we went to a member's house, an elderly woman and her husband named Thelma Ardón. A few weeks ago she did a Family Night commemorating her father and then later one commemorating her mother, and everyone loved it, including the lady who works for her, and this lady decided to do her own. Thelma thought it could be a great way to get some members to have the opportunity to share the gospel with their family members who aren't members of the church. She told us all about the agenda and showed us some of the stuff about her father, Telmo. He was born in Ecuador and when he was 17 years old, a member of the boy scouts, he walked from Ecuador all the way to Guatemala! And had a journal with memories all along the way! In newspapers and all sorts of stuff! He also was a cartoonist and painter and made lots of characters for political cartoons in Guatemala. One painting he made even was made into a stamp in Honduras! He had a very incredible life with a rich history. It could be a great family night for you all back home! Commemorate a family member who is no longer living (For example, Grandma June).

Quick story from Sunday. Church was great, normal. I was asked to speak on the spot, that was lovely. Luckily Elder Henriquez (a.k.a Kike) was informed a week before so his talk lasted about 15 minutes so I only had to kill about 5, but I got the job done! The bishop later thanked for me not saying something like "well, I didn't know that I was going to speak so, uh..." I just got up and spoke. THe other thing is super tacky. Anyways.... on Sunday night, at about 6 o'clock we went to meet this less active member named Mariano. Great guy. Long story that isn't mine to tell. But I just felt a super close bond with this guy right away. I truly love the man (about 24 years old) and I hope that we will be able to help him as he recovers from the pains of the best!

Life here in Las Victorias is great! Doing my best to do my duty, to God and my (adopted) country (and the people I love). The work is true, the book is blue, and Elder LaPray loves all of you!

Love,
Elder Andrew A. LaPray

No comments:

Post a Comment