Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

February 4, 2012 - Time Keeps on Slipping,Slipping, Slipping

My subject today is NOT about being baggy or time in the mission. It's just that my email time is slipping away and I am just BARELY starting my weekly blog email/email to the family. Sorry! It's been a REALLY good week though!!!
 
To make it easier... I'm just going to copy my journal. Hope that's okay...
 
"I'm a fan of Sundays. Wake up early to get ready to go to church, a nice breakfast, and some time to read the scriptures. Sacrament meeting wasn't too bad. We had 2 investigators there. THe only down side were the 2 "apostate" talks. THey didn't say anything out of harmony with the church's teachings, but they used visual aids, which is a definite don't do. Good content in the talks though. Our Book of Mormon class continues to be a success. Franklin Peeples came today! He's really the teacher, but he hasn't come for a few weeks. I was glad to see him there! We had 2 appointments to go to at 6 so we did divisions with the pouch elders. Elder Welch and I visited Lester and Marelin Garcìa. Marelin is still recovering from her appendecotmy, but we talke dto Lester and watched a video called "Only a Stonecutter" about a man who made huge sacrifices to fulfill the commandments of God. I hope it will help them to read or come to church."
 
"On Monday the 30th we had a really good lesson with Hna Cotero, Javier's mom. She's kind of had some rough patches in the 5 months I've known her, but I have honestly seen a HUGE change in her, and it all started with a desire, and it isn't easy by any means, but it has made a difference in her life. I don't remember how the conversation started, but she wanted to know more about baptisms for the dead because she was never able to do them before she stepped away from the church. But like I said, she's changed a lot, and although she's not perfect, there's a desire to change, and that is where it all starts. With a desire, you slowly let it grow. You feed that desire with ideas and plans and your desire grows stronger, and when your desire is strong enough, it automatically moves you to act to achieve your desire. So just make sure you have the right desires."
 
"I'm sure you've noticed that I don't really talk about the office anymore. It's not because nothing happens anymore, it's just that I've already talked about most of the stuff we do and it's probably pretty boring in the first place, let's be honest. I don't think I mentioned this on Sunday, but there were 2 people at church we had never seen before. One of them I recognized as a member when I saw his scripture cases. When sacrament meeting was over I started talking to them and they are a couple, Eddie Lopez and Sigrid, who is not a member. So on Sunday we set up an appointment for Today, Tuesday the 31st. Just for starters, Sigrid is a pilas investigator. Eddie is 31 years old and served his mission in El Salvador, back around 2000. He told us that he's kind of pulled away from the church, but he wants to come back and he's trying to do all he can, even bringing Sigrid so that she has the opportunity to know and have the joy and happiness that we have. He's helping us out a lot and I think she will see the small changes in him and the happiness the gospel brings to him. Sigrid has a lot of great questions for us and is extremely interested in learning more about all of our beliefs. Cool side note, Eddie even took her to the temple open house in Quetzaltenango! Just that brings on a whole set of uestions. Long story short, Sigrid is super prepared to hear the message of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. In our first visit with her we mostly just wanted to get to know them, find out about her religious background, and what she expects from us. In turn, we let her know what our purpose is in meeting with her. We also had the opportunity to introduce her to the Book of Mormon. Eddie had already given her a brief overview of what the Book of Mormon is but wanted us to share as well. We explained to her about the coming of Christ to the AMericas as well and for her it sounds very logical and could very possibly have happened. She committed to read the Book of Mormon and I think that she is definitely going to read. After the lesson they invited us to a cup of coffee (made from grains, not agains the Word of Wisdom) with bread and cookies. I wish I weren't likely leaving so soon:"
 
My time is up... but I know that we didn't find them by accident. The Lord has prepared people to learn about the gospel throughout the world, and He does it through YOU. Alma 13:24 says that angels are preparing the world to hear the gospel. You can be someones angel!
 
Love,
Elder Andrew A. LaPray

No comments:

Post a Comment