Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Week 3 of last transfer - 9.17.11

Subject: Week 3 is already gone!
I can't believe that week 3 is already gone!! That is so crazy. Time is just flying by here in the office. And I have a couple of stories to share this week, hooray!
 
So, like I said last week, on Sunday weren't allowed to go out and work. So, we went to church like normal, and then we came home. Ya estuvo (which means, that's it, now it's over, done, etc.) So I took a nap on Sunday afternoon, I wrote in my journal, wrote a letter, studied with Elder Spilker, and a few of us played Bancopoly!(The Guat version of Monopoly) and I had an awesome game plan and won. It wasn't really a game plan, but I ended up with 3 of the transportations and then I got a monopoly of Jutiapa and Jalapa (They are like James' Place and Boardwalk of Monopoly) and I just OWNED everybody. Needless to say, I won. I'm the finance elder, what can I say ;) (Totally kidding about the last part, but I did really win). 
 
On Monday night we went to a baptismal service for the 8 year old son of a member and it was really good, but we were there until 7. Cool story though, my CCM teacher Hna. España was at the baptism because the boy who got baptized is her nephew. Crazy, right!?
 
Oh boy, Tuesday! Tuesday morning I had a really great study from Preach My Gospel and the scriptures about Obedience and I classified my scriptures into 3 catergories - What does it mean? What blessings come from it? and Examples of obedience. To me, obedience isn't just complying with rules or something that is mandated of you, but it is submitting oneself to the will of the Father. It is an outward expression of our love for Him and our desire for eternal life (Mosiah 15:7; Matt. 26:29; John 14:15). It is also a manifestation of our committment to God and an act of faith. Office story. Elder Spilker and I had to go to the CCM to pay a bill for when a missionary stayed there. Do you know who is in the CCM right now? My best friend, Brock Joseph Andersen. I had the chance to see my very best friend! and you know what? He WASN'T THERE! Twice in six weeks the missionaries in the CCM go out to the central plaza to go contacting. The ONLY two days I show up to the CCM are the ONLY two days that he HAPPENS to be out contacting. It was really disappointing. *Sigh*
 
On Wednesday night there was a civic activity in the church because Independence Day was Thursday so there was an activity celebrating Guatemala and a running of the torch (I don't know why). So they posted the flag, sang the national anthem (which is SUPER long), did the pledge of allegiance, and then explained about the flag and the national flower, tree, etc. It was a really cool activity, but we ended up walking home and it took FOREVER. We usually take a taxi home every night but not Wednesday, we spent over an hour walking home. It was a LONG walk.
 
On Thursday we were the ONLY people in ALL of Europlaza. It is a 4 tour business building with 18 floors in each tower and we were the ONLY ones. It was super legit! So, we went up on the roof and took pictures (along with our other office duties!) Elder Spilker and I did a LOT of walking on Thursday night without much success, but we don't give up easily!
 
On Friday Elder Hogan and I did divisions (He is our district and one of my 3 companions, sort of. Like I explained, we are 4 in the office. Elder Hogan and Elder Franks(mail elders) and Elder Spilker and I (finance elders) but technically we are one companionship). Anyways, so Elder Hogan and I went on divisions and we did a lot of walking too. But, we taught a recent convert of about 4-6 months Cesár Guzmán (you can google him, he's a famous writer in Guatemala as well as the Guatemalan diplomat for Turkey). Anyways, we went and saw him and I shared the following question after he asked me what I do when I get depressed. Firstly I told him I cry and I pray (Lloro y oro [they sound very similar in Spanish]). (more or less, it goes like this) About 5-6 weeks ago I was having problems with my companion. We were arguing and not getting along. We had differences of opinion and we weren't both alway obedient and I didn't know how we could change that, because I was sick of the way things were. One night it pretty much just all got to a head and I didn't know what to do to help him or help us. I felt like I was alone in a worthless cause. One night I went up on the roof where it was a little more quiet and I could be alone. At first I just sat and meditated, and then I started to pray, and cry, searching for the guidance and direction I needed - what I could do to help the situation. After I prayed as I was meditating again, I could feel a peace come over him, as if I had received a hug from a loving Savior, Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ suffered through everything so that He would know how to giv us the perfect help and comfor that we would need, if we would trust in Him and seek His help(Alma 7:11-12). I promise you, that if you trust in Him, and seek His help, you too can be comforted by a loving elder brother, Savior, and Redeemer. That is the testimony which I bear to YOU and to Guatemala.
 
Love,
Elder Andrew A.LaPray

No comments:

Post a Comment