I don't want to bore you with information you may already know, but oh well...

Last Saturday night at midnight I was woken up again by BLASTING fireworks outside of my bedroom and throughout the ENTIRE city!! It wasn't quite as cool as it was on Christmas, but still pretty cool. Who knows what next new years will bring...

There's not much to mention as far as Sunday is concerned, we did our Book of Mormon class in English again, which is always cool. On Sunday night we got changes, and obviously since I'm writing on Saturday, I didn't get a change. Neither did my companion. Elder Llewleyn, like you already know, is training and staying in his area! Elder Nelson is also staying is ZL in Coban, which is sick. On the downer side.... this is very likely my last change in the office. I guess I don't really know if it's really a bad thing. I don't think so. It's just weird to think about. I've spent the last 4 months in the office. It's hard to think that 4 months have gone by in the blink of an eye! It seems like just yesterday I was beginning my companionship with Elder Spilker!

Monday and Tuesday went by like nothing. On Monday we were finally able to make payments again, which was super nice, because we've had SO much to do and we haven't been able to do any of it yet! Well, until Monday! On Monday night Colton and I had a sleepover on our couches, which was super fun! I hadn't seen Colton in 3 months! Which really isn't that long considered to how long it's been since I've seen the rest of you, but it's different when he's the only family member I'm allowed to see.

On Tuesday the news came in to the office to receive the training and the run down of the mission as well as to have their first interviews with Pres Watts and get their trainers. One of the news, Elder Easton Hansen, just happens to live RIGHT down the street from my Uncle Dave and Aunt Annette in Sandy, UT. Talk about a small world, huh?

Wednesday was change conference and when we got there I found out that I had an interview. I knew that there was a possibility of having an interview, but I didn't really think too much about it. When you are already in the office, you don't have a change, and you have an interview, it means only one thing. District Leader. So, on Wednesday morning President Watts informed me that the Lord has asked me to be the District Leader of the Cipresales District (which is our district). Definitely not something I highly anticipated coming, but knew it was a slight possibility. So, there's that big shock out of the way.

On Thursday I gave my first district meeting. It was pretty similar to the email I sent last week focusing on Matthew 4:19-20 but including missionary work. As missionaries there are a lot of things that keep us from following Christ and focusing completely on missionary work. It's really hard. But the Missionary Handbook reminds us that when we accepted this calling, we agreed to live by the rules in the mission handbook as well as to leave in second place all of our personal affairs, putting first the priority to invite others to come unto Christ, by helping them received the restored gospel through faith, repentance, baptism, the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. We invite others to do what we have already done. We must invite others to make the change like Christ has done unto us, and we must help them keep their commitments. Their desire to keep the commitments we live them will increase as they see us keeping the commitments we have made.  I don't know what anyone else thinks, but I thought it was a pretty good district meeting.

This morning I spent over 3 hours cleaning the house! It was MUCH needed. When old missionaries go home, they leave our house an absolute DISASTER and we have to clean up after them, which really stinks, but it's how life is. The kitchen was mostly our fault. There was stuff in our refrigerator that expired last year. And a bottle of some honey mustard dressing that expired in September of 2009. Now THAT is disgusting. I wish I would have thought to take a before an after picture, but I didn't. It was absolutely gross. Hopefully we can keep it as clean as it is right now!

So, that's the exciting week of Elder LaPray! My journal entries were REALLY rough last week.... I didn't write actually from the 29th of December until yesterday or two days ago... but I'm gonna be better! Last weekend was crazy and the beginning of this week was even worse! My testimony to you all is that the gospel is true. I wouldn't be out here if I didn't know it. I know the Book of Mormon is true too. I've really always known it, but there have been certain experiences that have made me know with an absolutely surety, and it didn't come after reading the whole book. I knew from just reading parts. And if part of it is true, it's all true. Sometimes we may feel like we have a lot on our shoulders, and that we're not qualified for the assignments and callings we have in this life. But, there is a quote that I love, "He whom the Lord calleth, He qualifieth". I do not doubt that and I know it will hold true with me being called as district leader.

Love,
Elder Andrew A. LaPray