Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

December 31,2011

So, New Years isn't QUITE gone, but basically... And besides, I don't do anything to celebrate it either! Sidenote, one year ago from today, my uncle, Dave, paid me $5 to take Joel to his friends house cause he didn't want to do it, and then I went over to my friends house to hang out for the rest of the night. Easiest 5 bucks I ever earned. Score! 

This week hasn't been to bad in the work, not amazing either. We have one family right now that is really progressing! Their names are Lester and Marelin GarcĂ­a. They have been investigating the church for, pĂșchica, a long time! Their biggest challenge or stumbling block has been reading the Book of Mormon, but slowly we´re getting rid of that stumbling block. They have lots of good questions and they are looking for the path that God wants them to follow and just need that answer to know that THIS is the direction for them to go. We had a couple good lessons with them this week. 

I would like to share a journal entry with you this week, as I feel it fits perfectly for the New Year and maybe a "New Years' Resolution". and it goes a little something like.. "The other day when we were teaching, I had this thought come to my mind that I wanted to share back from my CCM experience. Mabye I already shared it, but twice a story doesn't hurt. In Matthew 4 we read taht Jesus calls to some of his disciples who are casting their nets and he says, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men" (Matt 4:19). Their response is immediate and without words. Verse 20 tells us, "And they straightway left their nets, and followed him". Jesus calls to us saying, "Drop your nets and come follow me." What, then, are our nets? They are the things that keep us from following our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. What nets are you holding on to? What am I holding on to? It could be sin, money, anger, hurt, pride, or any number of things. The call to all is the same; Leave it behind. Now. We can't wait for tomorrow. We can learn from the example of Peter and Andrew and immediatele leave our nets and follow him, because nothing the world has to offer and prevents us from following Jesus Christ is worth it". 

In district meeting on Wednesday we talked about goals, like last change. I realized that I didn't complete a SINGLE goal I set for myself at the end of last change. Why? I would say the biggest reason is because I had NO idea what goals I set. Sure, I wrote them down. But I wrote them down and NEVER looked at them again. Goals are a lot more attainable if you have something to constantly remind you that you are working towards a goal. Example, I have a goal to serve a full time mission of two years. That goal is impossible to forget right now, but before I was serving it might have been a little easier to forget had I stopped going to seminary, stopped praying, stopped giong to church, or any number of things. So for this next change, I put my goals in a place where I will actually SEE them :) One of my goals is to wake up at 6 am and study for half an hour, before anything else. Really put priority to study time. Another goal is to read all the way through Alma by the end of next change, which should be possible if I complete my other goal of reading 15 chapters a week in the Book of Mormon. Right now I'm in Mosiah 13. Goals are important, but like I said, unless you have something reminding you of your goal, it's hard to return.

I would say that each of us has the goal of living with God again. It has been compared to a race. In a race there are 3 medals given. 1 of Gold. 1 of Silver. and 1 of Bronze. These can be compared to the glories Celestial, Terrestrial, and Telestial. Now, does anyone start a race with the goal of getting the bronze medal? No. how about the silver? As we say in Spanish, tampoco. We all start a race with the ultimate goal and desire of reaching first place, the Gold Medal. The good news about our Heavenly Father's plan is that we can ALL get the Gold Medal. We all started this race, life on earth, with the goal of returning to the presence of our Heavenly Father. Let us not forget our goal, as we study the scriptures, pray daily, and attend our regular church activities we can keep our ultimate goal in mind. Happy New Year!!

Love,
Elder Andrew A. LaPray


No comments:

Post a Comment