Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

October 15, 2011

Just a note:  Andrew wanted to protect me from worry so he didn't write the following incident in his letter.  The AP's were delivering a mattress to Sis. missionaries last week and were held up (by gun) and the car stolen.  Good news - they were not hurt and cars are replaceable.


This week I realized that I have a lot of friends out on missions who have been out over a year or are coming up on a year really fast. It's kind of weird to think about. And I've been out for 245 days! (No, I'm not baggy and I don't count the days like you think, I just write it down at the top of my journal for a reference to those who read it in the future, thank you very much).
 
 On Sunday, just as we got ready to leave the house and go to the area, it started raining like CRAZY and there was so much water on the road that the taxis spark plugs got wet and it stopped. So, the taxi driver asked us to try to push start him. It was POURING rain! So, Elder Francks and I got out and pushed the car... and it didn't start. So we got in, then do it again. Then again, and again. So we got in and out of the car 4 times and on the 5th time it FINALLY started and I got SOAKED. And I was soaked for the rest of the day. I hate wearing wet clothes when I'm not swimming. It's the worst.
 
On Monday Elder Spilker and I learned how to do ALL sorts of stuff for putting in future missionaries applications in the computer. Because we have districts of the church here, Pres. Watts acts as a stake president in the interview process and he puts in all of the medical information. Well, Pres. can't do all of that because it would take a while, so we put in all of the information. But, we also have areas with people who don't even know HOW to use a computer, so we have to put all their information from the old paper form into the computer (which can cause some difficulty because the application has changed) but we learned a lot of important stuff! I talked to Brock on Monday night. I spent over an hour and a half on the phone with him just talking. I can't even explain it.
 
 On Tuesday I went to the temple with Brock and his companion Elder Grijalba. It was an indescribable experience and that's all I can say. Sorry.
 
Wednesday was change conference! Obviously I didn't have a change. The new AP (since Elder Davis went hom) is Elder Gallo fromHonduras. He is way legit! He'll go home when I hit a year. Colton is going up to Coban with an elder from Chile. Elder Nelson is going to be Zone Leader in Coban!! (So cool!) and the new office elder is Elder Cantillo (a costa rican from my group). Elder Davis went hom on Thursday morning. It was really sad to see him go. He has been a really good friend and example to me! On Thursday night we taught a lesson to the non-member brother of a recent convert and invited him to be baptized and he said yes! He said he's been thinking about getting baptized in a couple of weeks and set his OWN fecha (date) for the 5th of November when his brother can baptize him.
 
 On Friday we had a multi-zone conference! We had a member of the 1st Quorum of the 70 with us, Elder Carlos H. Amado. He's been a 70 for over 20 years. Sister Watts gave an awesome talk about who we want to be and what we are doing to become that person. We may not all be like Captain Moroni, loyal and faithful for all of our lives, but we can all be like Alma the younger, and make the ecision to be loyal and true for the REST of our lives. Elder Amado talked about a lot of cool stuf. He told us that being an especial witness of the name of Jesus Christ (an apostle) means that they have had a PERSONAL experience with Jesus Christ in which they KNOW him, and thus can testify of his divinity. How cool is that!? I mean, obviously it's what most people probably think and assume, but it's the first time I've heard that from a general authority!
 
God Speed,
Love Elder Andrew LaPray

No comments:

Post a Comment