Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Provo MTC

                                      Andrew and Colton with Grandma and Grandpa Anderson
 
First Letter
I've almost made it an entire week in the MTC! The first day was very overwhelming and a very different environment than what I am used to, but it was good. I saw Colton (Elder Llewelyn) when we got dropped off and I didn't see him again until Sunday night. It was crazy.
 
My first companion's name is Elder Call. He is from Syracuse, UT and he was going to Honduras. For various reasons things changed between Wednesday and Friday night and I now have a new companion, Elder Bennion (he was already in my district as part of a trio). He is a convert of only a year! and he is from Vancouver, WA. He's a nice guy. We have our challenges as companions, but we are doing our best to work through them and work together.
 
My teachers here are great! They are Hermano (Hno.) Sparks and Hermana (Hna.) Staib. Hno. Sparks is from Shelley! Which is really cool, and he served his mission in Mexico. Hno. Sparks and I get along really well and I am learning a lot from him! Hna. Staib is from Alpine, UT. She got her mission call to Mongolia, but her district had problems with their visas and she got reassigned to Colorado (obviously Spanish speaking, since she is my teacher).
 
We learn everything so quickly here and I love it! On the very first day I could already say a VERY simple prayer in Spanish and now I can give a much more varied prayer, it's wonderful! We've had a lot of opportunities to learn how to teach in English, and in Spanish, as well as good studying ideas. I'm trying to write down everything and remember everything, but it's hard to do it all in a day!
 
Waking up at 6:30 is killing me! even though I go to sleep on time, at 10:30! 8 hours just isn't enough sleep for a 19 year old boy from Idaho! We need a good 9-10 hours. But, I'm trying my best to be obedient in all things, no matter what my opinion of the rules. Generally, I agree with most of the rules and can abide by them, but some of them I don't personally understand and do anyway, just because we're asked to do them!
 
Church on Sunday was FANTASTIC! The first half of Sacrament meeting was in Spanish. I understood a lot of what the talks were about. The talks were all really good, obviously. In Priesthood meeting we talked about the Law of Chastity, and it finally wasn't an awkward lesson! I learned a lot about how to teach the law of Chastity so that others understand exactly what we believe in the law of Chastity. After that we had a new District Orientation meeting with one of the Branch Presidency Counselors, Brother Jurgens. He is really funny, I love our presidency a lot! That night we had a really great fireside by Brother Stephen Allen, a managing something from the MTC, about trials/turbulence. It was spiritually uplifting and helped us understand how to cope with, learn from, and grow from our trials.
 
After the fireside we had the opportunity to watch the newest Joseph Smith movie. It is absolutely fantastic! I don't know how anyone could doubt the divine calling of Joseph Smith and the truth of this gospel after watching that video, you can feel the Spirit so strongly!
 
As difficult as being a missionary is, and as physically, emotionally, and spiritually demanding it is, I absolutely love it! There is no other place I would rather be! I know that this Church is true. I know that Joseph Smith restored the Gospel of Jesus Christ on the earth today, and it is the church which contains the Gospel of Jesus Christ in its entirety. I have a testimony of the Restoration of this Gospel and of the Plan of Salvation. Jesus is the Christ and I am trying to invite all to come unto Christ, through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, Repentence, Baptism, Receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost, and Enduring to the end. OR, in Spanish <Invitar a todas a venir a Cristo, mediante la fe in Jesucristo y su expiacion, el arrepentimiento, el bautismo, la recepcion del don del Espiritu Santo, y el perseverar hasta el fin. I promise that as we come unto Christ and believe on his name, we can feel our Savior's love, our Father in Heaven's love, and the presence of the Holy Ghost in our lives.
 
Love,
Elder Andrew A. LaPray
                                                      Andrew and Colton on the first day
 
Second Letter
Dear Family! and Friends!
 
I talked to President Brown with Colton last week! It was a really cool experience!
 
To everyone who sent me letters/emails this week on Dear Elder, THANK YOU! I sent out letters this afternoon back to you! If you're going to right me back, be sure to do it before 4 pm on Monday, the 14th, or I won't get it before I leave for Guatemala.
 
This last week went by way faster than the first one! I only have on week left from today before I'm headed to Guatemala! My flight is at 9:45 pm on the 15th! It is crazy soon!
 
We did our first lesson in the TRC last week! I think it went pretty well, but we did it in english, so it wasn't hard. Random insert, but I don't want to forget. Yesterday we had a district from our zone leave and I had gotten close to a few of them so it was kind of hard to say goodbye. There were some really cool guys! They'll be great missionaries though!
 
I'm getting better at falling asleep with Elder White's snoring, but it's probably because I wear ear plugs, but I can still hear him! He snores crazy loud! But I love him!
 
Elder Bennion and i had more ups and downs this week, but this time they went higher and lower than before, big changes in moods! It makes working together very hard sometimes! But we're both trying our hardest to get along.
 
The longer I'm in here, the faster time is going, it's wonderful! I can't wait to get to Guatemala and learn more! and start teaching, although I'm no where near ready! I know I can do all things with the help of the Lord! Philippians 4:13
 
I love you all!
Elder Andrew A. LaPray

No comments:

Post a Comment