Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

Barbara Cobbley - March 12, 2012

March 12th, 2012.

"Today I found out one of my dearest friends passed away - Barbara Cobbley. I will never forget the first time I met Barbara. I was weeks away from my 14th birthday and we had just returned from the Caribbean. Early one morning, Grandma told me I had to go shovel the driveway and also Barbara's. Grandma told me not to let Barbara pay me but that it was a service. I tried to shovel quietly so she wouldn't even know I was outside. I was just about done when I heard a voice behind me. Caught. I was kind of afraid or nervous around elderly people, but when Barbara tried to give me a 5 dollar bill I told her it was service and couldn't accept her money and she tried more to make me take the money. I finally settled on something; she could pay me this one time, but never again. Not once after that did she try to pay me in 4 years.

"I remember seeing her outside with her two little pugs, Babe and Mandy, whom I grew to love. Despite her age, I often saw my dear Barbara picking weeds in her garden, always full of spunk and energy.

"Before I turned 15 I became her hometeacher with my uncle Orvil. I treausre those monthly visits with my friend. I will not forget our prayers together in those visists. We would all stand up, Orvil, Barbara, Marian and I and hold hands in a circle. The first time I was timid, but came to love those prayers. Barbara's hand was always toasty warm in mine. 3 wonderful years of being her hometeacher. What she may not know is that she was teaching me.

"Barbara gave me numerous opportunities to serve and love. They were usually small simple things, but things I came to enjoy. Every time she and Marian came home with a bag of dog food, there I was to take it into the garage. I will never forget my dear, beloved friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment