Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

July 18, 2011

So, this week are the CHANGES. BIG NEWS... I'm going to POLOCHIC TO LEARN q'eqchi' 

...just kidding.  We don't know who goes where or who our companions are until Wednesday. I don't have a change, but Elder Nelson does, So, this Wednesday I will officially get my second companion in the mission... I don't know if it will be a Gringo or a Latino... I'll let you all know next week... But for the record, I AM getting a new companion this week. 

So, Monday night we had an FHE with the familia Godines... it was absolutely awful. There were so many things that went wrong it's not even funny. But, on the way home we stopped by a member family´s house because it was the daughter's 6 year birthday. So, upon opening the door, little 6 year old Kimberly saw us, walked right up to me and hugged me around the waist. It was so cute and it melted my heart! I felt bad that alll I had to give her for a birthday present were some cookies, but she was so happy and it literally made my day! 

On Tuesday, we had a really good lesson with Jessica that night in which she told us about some of the problems she has had and has at home, and so we shared a couple scriptures with her to help her out. I shared Moroni 8:26(look it up) which tells us how the Spirit of God can fill us with hope and love, to comfort us in times of need if we pray for him to be with us. Elder Nelson then shared Alma 7:11-12(look it up) to talk about how the Atonement of Jesus Christ covers ALL of the pains, trials, and afflicitions we have in this life, so that Christ knows EXACTLY how to succor us (give us comfort and aid). 



I had a cold on Wednesday-Today, so I don't have a lot of stories from Thursday-Today, but I'll share what I have. On Thursday night we took the papers for the familia Beltran to get married to a member, Javier, who has been helping us a little with the marriage. We were at their house for about a hour and a half and it just so happens that Javier has a guitar... and he let me play it. It was SO fantastic!!! I really miss playing the guitar. It felt like home for a minute. 

Friday (the 15th) was my HALF BIRTHDAY! That's about it. We saw a few people, but no experiences to share... However, Saturday was the MARRIAGE OF THE FAMILIA BELTRAN! They have been waiting for almost FIVE years to be able to get married and We were FINALLY able to get it done. Francisco and Marisol have been married and this Saturday, the 23rd of July, at 6 pm, they will be baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and on Sunday morning they will recieve the gift of the Holy Ghost. How incredible is this church? They are a testimony to ME of the truthfulness of this gospel. They have waiting SO long for this opportunity because they KNOW that this is the only true church on the face of the earth and one year from This Sunday, they will be able to go to the Temple of God and be sealed for time and all eternity. I am SO happy for them and I feel blessed to have been a part of their incredible journey! They will forever be a testimony to me.

Sunday was a big day back home, and not too big here in Guatemala. Several times I thought of my best friend, back in Idaho Falls, getting ready to give his farewell and giving his farewell, and getting ready to come here and spread the gospel with me! I know that he did great and I am so proud OF him and excited FOR him. For thos of you who don't know him or didn't go to his farewell, he shared an incredible story that I want to share with you (Brock, I hope I do it justice).    There was an olympic runner, who had been training for this race for years. He was leading the back as he rounded the corner for the last 100 meters, when he collapsed on the track and could not finish the race. The man's father jumped down from the stand and helped carry his Son across the finish line. What an incredible story. We are all the olympic runner and Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are our Father to help us finish the race. When we literally can go no farther, Jesus Christ, through the Infinite Atonement, will help us cross the finish line so that we can finish the race and return to our Heavenly Father.

I promise that the Atonement of Jesus Christ is real and that through this incredible gift, we can be comforted in times of joy, or in the moments of our deepest despair. Jesus Christ is our Elder Brother, Our Savior, Our Redeemer, and Our Advocate with the Father and He is ALWAYS cheering us on until the very end, and if we seek Him, He WILL help us.

Love, Elder Andrew Anderson LaPray



1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this posting! It's amazing how much the Gospel can change a person. And it's even more amazing how testimonies of missionaries can help those of us back home without even meaning to. This made my night. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete